Fundamental Objective of Position:
To work with other students and a professional coordinator, to provide opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to actively engage in healthy competition through sports and other recreation activities. To work with other students to provide a structure for an experiential education that fosters a safe and welcoming environment built upon peaceful play. To ensure all policies are being maintained at every Recreational Sport or Club Sport event. To ensure Recreational Sports and Club Sports are providing the highest quality events possible for the students, faculty, and staff at Earlham College given the available resources and time available to the Rec Sports Staff and Wellness Programs.
- To assist the Director of Recreational Sports in the execution of and implementation of Recreational Sports in recruiting, training, and scheduling Officials to each sport.
- In collaboration with the Director of Recreational Sports, recruit an appropriate number of reliable students to become permanent Officials/Supervisors to be utilized in any and all sports offered by the Recreational Sports Program.
- Train the Recreational Sports staff in the rules and regulations of every sport being offered by the Recreational Sports Program.
- Aid in the scheduling of all student staff for any and all sports offered by the Recreational Sports Program.
- In collaboration with all other primary staff members, perform ongoing evaluations of Official’s performances and conduct additional training as needed.
- Work with the Director to provide feedback to the staff of their performance and/or job action if necessary.
- Evaluate the current process of recruiting and training staff and make recommendations on how to improve for the future.
- Evaluate the abilities of current staff to determine if further training is necessary.
- Meet with the Director on a bi-weekly basis to discuss the Recreational Sports program as a whole, as well as position updates.
- Have general knowledge of every sport being offered and the rules attached to these sports.
- Be available to officiate/Supervise games when necessary.
- Serve as back-up support to Officials/Supervisors during scheduled events.
- Attend weekly meetings to stay up-to-date on all Recreational Sports happenings and contribute to the team’s weekly discussions.
- Must be a current student taking the minimum required hours (12).
- Ideally, have some experience working with or participating in sports and/or sports background.
- The ability to work with others, as students will be referred to this role for Recreational Sports questions.
- The ability to confront behaviors not desired within the Recreational Sports program.
- Ability to lift at least around 15-25 pounds as moving equipment is a regular part of this position.
- Ability to work independently and with attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong skills in both verbal and written communication.
- A flexible schedule.
- Set up for each event you are scheduled to work
- Help check-in participants as they arrive
- Briefly recap major rules/expectations with captains
- Clean up and tear down after each event you are scheduled to work
- Turn in/update online score results and stats to the Director within 24 hours