This job is designated as an “in person” position, and cannot be done remotely.
Fundamental Objective of Position:
To work with other students and a professional coordinator, to provide opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to actively engage in healthy competition through sports and other recreation activities. To work with other students to provide a structure for an experiential education that fosters a safe and welcoming environment built upon peaceful play. To ensure all policies are being maintained at every Recreational Sports event. To ensure the Recreational Sports program is providing the highest quality events possible for the students, faculty, and staff at Earlham College given the available resources and time available to the Recreational Sports Team.
- To assist the Director of Recreational Sports in the development, implementation, and execution of all Recreational Sports Events.
- Attend any and all training requirements prior to officiating for a sport.
- To control the atmosphere of all Recreational Sports Events including but not limited to the participants, coaches, and fans.
- Serve as a trained Official for every sport being offered by the Recreational Sports Program.
- To appropriately make calls that violate the rules of the game, our sportsmanship policy, student conduct policy, or any action that places any participant in harm’s way.
- To show no favoritism toward any one team or player based on their relationship, good or bad, with said team or player.
- To be honest with the Student Rec Sports Coordinators about their comfort level of refereeing certain sports and certain populations within a sport.
- To be available to officiate all sports offered by Recreational Sports, not just certain ones.
- Serve as the role model when controlling the mood of the sports they are officiating.
- Give feedback on the sports they officiate to the primary staff members.
- Give feedback on the Officials training program to the Rec Sports Coordinators.
- Report scores through IMLeagues immediately after sporting events have completed.
- Must be a current student taking the minimum required hours (12).
- Ideally, have some experience working with or participating in sports and/or sports background.
- The ability to work with others within the position as this position will have several face to face interactions with Recreational Sports Staff and participants.
- The ability to confront behaviors not desired within the Recreational Sports program.
- Ability to lift at least around 15-25 pounds as moving equipment is a regular part of this position.
- Ability to role model appropriate behavior
- Ability to pay attention to detail.
- Strong skills verbal communication skills.
- A flexible schedule.
- Help set up for each event you are scheduled to work.
- Help check-in participants as they arrive
- Hold a brief pre-game meeting with your officiating partner(s) to discuss expectations of each other, refereeing style/preference, and assigning roles for the upcoming game.
- Briefly recap major rules/expectations with captains.
- Check the playing surface to ensure safety.
- Clean up and tear down after each event you are scheduled to work.
- Keep track of scores, times, and rules of the games
- Submit the scores on IMLeagues before leaving.
- Check-out with Primary Staff member prior to leaving.