Do you want to spend your summer job working outdoors? Is making a difference in the lives of children important to you? Do you want to meet people from all over the world? What about building your resume while having an amazing time?
Join our camp family this summer for a challenging and rewarding job experience that will give you the skills you need for your future. Make a difference in the lives of our campers, while enjoying our beautiful outdoor facilities and working with people from around the world.
- Understand the responsibility of taking care of children and experience the impact and importance that a residential 7-week summer camp has on a child’s physical, emotional, and cognitive development.
- Learn from the program’s leadership team and social worker by meeting weekly and debriefing current issues that arise at camp to gain insight on how child behavior issues are dealt with in a large, fast-paced, community setting.
- Improve self confidence and initiative by growing emotionally and learning from failure and success while motivating the desire to be a life-long learner.
- Strengthen leadership, teamwork and communication skills while experiencing the importance and impact of being a positive role model to hundreds of children.
- Take advantage of networking and mentoring opportunities from our Leadership Team, Alumni and Parent Network.
Working at camp as a counselor, in-and-of-itself, gives you hands-on experience aligned with a psychology degree. By living and interacting 24/7 for 8 weeks with different personalities you will be immersed in an experience that involves the ultimate responsibility of taking care of other people’s children. The internship and summer job as a camp counselor are integrated. You will live and work in a community setting, helping campers foster their independence while navigating their time away from their parents. On top of that, as a Psychology Intern you will meet with and learn from our Head Counselors, Camp Moms, Child Development Consultant and Directors on a range of issues. You will meet with this “Child Care Committee” and other Psychology Interns to discuss social observations that you have made throughout the summer. As a Psychology Intern at camp, there is almost no better setting to be exposed to child behavior and youth development! We will work out a specific schedule that allows you to touch base and interview different people involved with dealing with camper and staff behavior management and development throughout the summer. To clarify, this is not a clinical experience, you will gain an insight on the operations of camp from a psychology perspective and understand what goes into the different child behavioral situations that may occur; you will not be working with any campers one on one. However, there may be some campers in your assigned cabin that you will be helping navigate these situations.
Your primary role will be working with the campers as a counselor, living in a cabin with campers and other co-counselors. Working at camp simply as a counselor, in-and-of-itself, provides hands-on experience and leadership opportunities, while building skills that hiring managers are looking for, such as flexibility, adaptability, initiative, self-direction, social and cross-cultural skills, productivity, accountability, leadership and responsibility. As a counselor, you will be directly responsible for the welfare and whereabouts of your campers. You will be under the guidance of your Group Leader and assist in supervision of the campers’ daily schedule and life at camp.
See Company Profile for Position Requirements.
Benefits of Interning at Camp Towanda:
- Individually tailored experience to meet your goals, working with school advisors so that you get the most out of your internship.
- Hands on program, working directly in your discipline.
- Real world work experience in the outdoors vs. an office or corporate setting, getting coffee or pushing papers.
- Receive routine feedback and supervision by a professional with expertise and educational/professional background in your associated field.
- Satisfy school internship requirements and earn credits if needed.
- Hours/week: Working at camp is not your typical job/internship. You are living and working at the same place in an immersive community lifestyle for 8 weeks.
- Work with a diverse team from around the world, impacting and inspiring today’s youth.
- Work on the set of the movie “Wet Hot American Summer”. Yup, it was filmed here!
- Join a vast network of Staff, Alumni and Parents that can connect you with future endeavors.
- THIS IS A PAID INTERNSHIP. Pay scale depends on experience and qualifications. Plus, housing, meals, laundry service and travel reimbursement are provided!
CAMP AND COVID
In May of 2020 we made the tough decision to close our business for the season. You can view our closing message here
. Looking ahead to 2021, we are confident that we will be prepared and ready for the challenges. We are working closely with our Medical Team to safely make this summer the best one yet! Now more than ever, the importance of Camp is evident; the fresh air, connecting with nature, impacting our youth and fostering a healthy, nurturing environment for the next generation to grow.
The next step is to fill out our online application
. We will then connect to set up a video interview over Skype, Facetime or Zoom. Our internships are integrated with our hired camp counselor positions; there is one application. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. 570-253-3266 or email@example.com
Be sure to check out our website
and watch out videos
! You can also read more about us in our Company Profile here on Handshake.